We all know how important it is to take care of our health, but sometimes we can fall behind on preventive care – especially for our teeth.
Maybe you’ve just switched to a new dental plan and haven’t chosen a new dental surgery yet; maybe you’re worried about the cost in these troubled financial times or perhaps you’ve just been busy.
Whatever the reason, it’s important to get into the habit of regular visits to the dentist. Why? Because preventive dental care is important to your overall health, your smile and more.
What is preventive dentistry?
Preventive dental care is a combination of the daily care you do at home, like brushing and flossing your teeth, eating healthy, and getting regular dental checkups with your dental professional.
A regular dental checkup typically includes a review of your teeth, gum health and regular screening for oral cancer and other systemic issues. This also includes regular radiographs (x-rays) to assess in between your teeth for any decay or other problems. At your check up, you will also receive a gum and teeth cleaning which helps maintain your gum health for six months in addition to your normal cleaning regime at home. We have Dentists, Oral Health Therapists and Dental Hygienists available at our practice to provide your regular check-up. If you are scheduled with a Hygienist (who is a licensed healthcare professional who works closely with the dentist), our Dentist will come into your appointment to provide your comprehensive oral examination.
We understand the disappointment that Dr Andrew Sproll (Principal Dentist and Owner) no longer provides regular check ups and cleans due to offering other specialty services in orthodontics and children’s dentistry, but he has ensured all of his associate dentists/oral health therapists and hygienists are well equipped to offer you the same service you would routinely receive from Dr Sproll. He encourages you to see one of our other dental professionals and he can reassure you that he is always available to help you if you have any treatment that you require and that he will make himself available to come in and help look at your mouth when he is there at your request.
Why regular dental checkups are important?
– Oral health is linked to systemic health: Studies show that oral health is closely tied to your overall health. For example, gum disease has connections to diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke. That’s why your dentist looks for signs of gum disease at every checkup
– Your dental practitioner also checks for signs of decay or cavities, dry mouth and oral cancer, which can all affect your health and well-being if they go untreated. By keeping up with your preventive dental exams, you’re also taking care of your whole body
– In some cases, symptoms of gingivitis, tooth decay and other conditions can be mild enough to go unnoticed. Regular preventive dental checkups help make sure issues are caught and treated as early as possible. That means regular dental care helps protect you from painful oral health issues and more expensive treatments later on.
– Small problems with your teeth or gums are detected early so that we can help reduce your likelihood of presenting in dental pain. Are you experiencing and sensitivity or pain.
– Oral cancer checks are conducted at every 6 monthly check up. Oral cancer is on the rise, and we always screen to ensure there are no suspicious lesions in the mouth that need investigation. This includes any unusual bleeding of the gums.
At Empire Bay Dental, we offer the following packages to you and your family to help you to be able to access professional care.
1. I am in a health fund (with dental cover): We discount the out-of-pocket expense to ensure you don’t receive any charge.
2. I don’t have health insurance: We offer a complete comprehensive examination, diagnostic x-rays and cleaning at a discounted rate of $195.00 for adults and $135.00 for children.
3. We accept the Medicare scheme, Child Dental Benefits Scheme (CDBS). If your child is eligible (please search your eligibility for this scheme prior to your appointment, or our receptionist can help by checking for you), we charge only to Medicare for check-ups, cleans, x-rays, fillings, extractions etc. at no cost to you.
We look forward to helping take care of your oral health.
Dr Andrew Sproll & Associates of Empire Bay Dental